For businesses interested in offering outdoor seating, please see the letter below with specifics for getting it permitted through the town.
At its March 2, 2021 meeting, the Select Board unanimously voted to support continued outdoor seating for restaurant diners. Continued outdoor dining has already been approved by Governor Baker and the ABCC. However, this approval could change at any time if the Governor eases the state of public health emergency.
If you already hold an outdoor seating permit and wish to use it for 2021 outdoor seating season, there are few important matters to keep in mind:
- You must submit an email indicating that you wish to utilize your outdoor seating permit for the 2021 season;
- You must submit an updated letter from your landlord, if applicable, stating that you have permission to use the outdoor seating area for the 2021 season;
- If you want to change the plan for your seating area in any way (i.e. changing the number of tables, adding a canopy, changing the traffic pattern, changing the safety barriers used) you must submit a new plan to the Board for approval. Your current permit will not be valid if you make changes to the plan for your seating area until it is approved by the Board;
- You must submit updated proof of insurance for your outdoor area;
- You CANNOT be open for outdoor seating until your seating area has been inspected by the Town;
- The total of your indoor and outdoor patrons cannot exceed your liquor license capacity;
- An updated list of safety parameters will be issued by the Board in the next few weeks and you are expected to adhere to them.
If you do not have an outdoor seating permit and wish to apply, you must complete an application for review and approval. Updated applications will be available during the week of March 8, 2021.
While the Board cannot anticipate changes made to the Governor’s emergency order and/or the ABCC’s corresponding regulations, it’s members continue to be supportive of outdoor dining as a way to enhance your business during this difficult time. In the months ahead, the Board is committed to creating and implementing a plan for permanent outdoor seating.
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me directly.
Very truly yours,
Dava F. Kilbride
Office Manager – Stoneham Select Board